It happens often. I get an email or a phone call from someone who’s reaching out because they have “tried almost everything”. They then go on to list, almost like a resume, all the things that have “failed” to increase their success.
When I first started doing this work, I didn’t know what to say. I knew that the principles of attraction, spiritual entrepreneurship and energy psychology are always operating. Yet, there are large numbers of people who aren’t seeing the results they want. What’s up with THAT?!?
Spiritual Window Shopping – A Centuries Old Tradition
As I’ve gained more experience with this work, I’ve noticed a few patterns. To help understand these dynamics, I’d like to use a poem by Rumi (one of my favorite poets) called These Spiritual Window Shoppers. Though written over 750 years ago, I think it’s still very useful. Here’s how the poem starts:
These spiritual window-shoppers,
who idly ask, ‘How much is that?’ Oh, I’m just looking.
They handle a hundred items and put them down,
shadows with no capital.
How to be a GREAT Spiritual Window Shopper
In my work, I get to talk to LOTS of people. From the perspective of observing so many people, I’d like to share with you some of the most common mistakes I see. But instead of another “here’s the 5 biggest mistakes” blog post (B-O-R-I-N-G!), I thought it would be fun to lay out exactly how to ruin your success by being a GREAT Spiritual Window Shopper. Here are the 5 key strategies:
- Check out a huge number of people’s stuff very shallowly. A champion window shopper knows all the big names and the latest lingo. So get surfing. Don’t ever spend more than a few minutes with any one person’s stuff. You want to impress people with the QUANTITY of how much stuff you’ve been exposed to. Forget about the quality of your knowledge base.
- Don’t ever complete suggested exercises or implement new ideas. You know those exercises and implementation ideas that all knowledgeable people suggest? IGNORE them. Listen to the voice that tells you that you are “too busy”. After all, you’ve got more windows to check out. Who wants to waste time on a silly thing like change?
- NEVER work with a live person. The thing about real people is that they ask you honest questions and share authentic feedback. As a spiritual window shopper, you don’t want that kind of hassle. You have more important things to do. Stick to website copy, free ebooks, short videos and the like.
- Do not pay attention to the new currency – RELATIONSHIPS. There is a lot of talk these days about the new economy – “the social economy.” Don’t pay attention to this pointless drivel. Building authentic relationships and being clear on who you can best serve? You have much more important things to do.
- Nothing deep matters. “Nothing deep matters” is a spiritual window shopper’s mantra. Your thoughts, feelings, and actions have nothing to do with your success. It’s all how things look and what’s popular at the moment. Did you hear about that top ten list about what’s hot this week from that very famous person? Now that’s important!
Now that you know the deepest secrets of GREAT spiritual window shoppers, I’m curious about your thoughts. What’s the coolest window display you’ve ever seen? And how would you know if someone – GASP! – wasn’t a window shopper but actually wanted to take real steps to increase her/his success? What would you suggest to him/her? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the form of a comment below.